The Great White Irony

No white person wants to be famous just among white people.

Most of the things that white people do* are only interesting to other white people.

Which means the only way that a white person can become famous is by impressing a lot of other white people.

Which no self-respecting white person would ever want.

QED, it is pointless to worry about being famous. In fact, it would be better not to be.

Whew! I'm glad that I finally understand this now. Maybe now I can get back to work, secure in the thought that practically nobody understands what I am trying to do.

And that I never really wanted to be famous in the first place.

Also that it only makes me pathetic to be hanging around wishing that I were one of the popular kids. I'd rather still be a geek.

So there.

Now all I have to do is convince myself not to worry about getting a promotion--and I'm free!

Okay, that's still a hard one. Perhaps there's something I'm still missing.

*Like liberal arts degrees. Or studying medieval European history.**
**Which isn't quite true: I have heard of very keen students of the subject in China and Japan.***
***Which should make the subject even more appealing to white people, if only they knew.****
****But, typically, white people are too busy "finding themselves" by traveling to Asia to do yoga and become Buddhists to notice that students in Asia want to learn about the West. Including Christianity. Talk about irony.

Comments

  1. Those first five sentences are an answer to prayer. Internalizing the fifth is the hard part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my blog post. I look forward to hearing what you think!

F.B.

Popular posts from this blog

How to Be God-Right

The Sworn Book of Professor Peterson

Hot Button Issues, No. 4: Talking Politics

Gut Reaction

Medieval History 101: The Unauthorized Version